Saturday, July 20, 2013

Calvin and Hobbes Themed Cupcakes - April 2013

I made these Calvin and Hobbes themed cupcakes for my son, Caleb, to share with his class at school for his birthday.  (You can see his Calvin and Hobbes birthday cake here.)

Calvin and Hobbes Themed Cupcakes - Close-Up View of Cupcakes

Calvin and Hobbes Themed Cupcakes - Angled View

Calvin and Hobbes Themed Cupcakes 1

Calvin and Hobbes Themed Cupcakes  - Group of Calvin Cupcakes

Calvin and Hobbes Themed Cupcakes  - Group of Hobbes Cupcakes

Calvin and Hobbes Themed Cupcakes  - Close-Up Angled View

Calvin and Hobbes Themed Cupcakes 2

To make these cupcakes I layered some orange tinted cake batter (red for some) with some chocolate cake batter in cupcake liners and baked them.  I was trying to get a striped look inside, but I didn't do thin enough layers, so it was more like a one big stripe-ish look for most of them (see picture below), but oh well, still something different.  :)

Calvin and Hobbes Themed Cupcakes - View of Inside of Cupcakes
 
After the cupcakes baked and completely cooled, I iced the orange cupcakes with orange colored buttercream and the red cupcakes with red buttercream.  Then I piped black buttercream icing stripes on all the cupcakes.  Then using an open star tip (I think I used a #22) I piped white tufts of fur along the sides of the orange, Hobbes, cupcakes, and yellow spikes of hair along the top of the red, Calvin, cupcakes.  I did the Hobbes cupcakes first, and looking back, I think if I were to do it again I'd do the white fur tufts similarly to the hair I did on the Calvin cupcakes.  But I did like how the cupcakes came out, a little simplistic nod to Calvin and Hobbes.  :)
Andrea - Animated Name






(I created my animated name at this site.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...